Scripture: John 2: 1 – 11 or pages 366-367 in The Golden Children’s Bible
Target Age Group: 1st through 6th grade
Welcome the children to the classroom and chat with them about their week as they gather around the table.
Pray and ask God to teach the children not just head knowledge, but also heart knowledge.
Have the children open their Bibles to John 2 or page 366 in The Golden Children’s Bible.
(Read the story to the children because at this age some of the children do not read smoothly, which hinders comprehension for the whole class.)
- What event were Jesus, Mary, and the disciples at in Cana? a wedding
- What problem did Mary bring to Jesus? “They have no wine.”
- How did Jesus answer her? “Woman, what does your concern have to do with Me? My hour has not yet come.”
- What do you think Jesus meant by that? His public ministry had not begun yet.
- What did Mary tell the servants? “Whatever He says to you, do it.”
- What did Jesus tell the servants to do? Fill the 6 large waterpots with water.
- How much water did each pot hold? 20 or 30 gallons each (Help the children visualize this amount. Show them a gallon milk container and explain that 20 or 30 of them would fit in one pot. Or tell them that that would be enough water to fill a bathtub.)
- After they filled the pots, what did Jesus tell them to do? to draw some out and give it to the master of the feast (Maybe that would be like the caterer.)
- Did he like the water? Yes! It wasn’t water anymore. It was wine! And he said to the groom, “Every man at the beginning sets out the good wine, and when the guests have well drunk, then the inferior. You have kept the good wine until now!”
- Why do you think that Jesus did the miracle even if he said that his time had not yet come? He cared about the wedding couple.
- Do you think that you can come to Jesus with your problems? Yes.
- What if the servants had not followed Mary’s advice to do whatever Jesus said to do? They wouldn’t have had any more wine. They would have missed out on a miracle.
- Do you think that you should do whatever Jesus tells you to do? Yes.
- What might happen if you don’t do what He tells you? We might miss out on a miracle or a blessing.
- What did the disciples think when they saw what had happened? It caused them to believe in Him.
- Let’s pray and thank Jesus for meeting the needs of the couple and for meeting our needs every day. And help us to always listen and do whatever you tell us to do…
During the remaining class time do activities that help to reinforce what the children have learned. Here are some suggestions…
Memorize the verse.
John 2: 11b “He thus revealed his glory, and his disciples put their faith in him.”
Have the children use colors or pastels to draw their own vision of the story on a sketch pad page. Or have them color a color page related to the story. Color page #1 from Ministry to Children, Color page #2 from sermons4kids, Color page #3 from Sermons4kids, Color page #4 from Bible Kids. An excellent color page book is “Through-the-Bible Coloring Pages For Ages 4-8” by Janet Skiles. The pages are reproducible.
Share a video of this story:
Video #3 (Start at 6:42)
Video #4 (for the teacher)
Have the children fill out these worksheets and color page from Calvary Curriculum .
This is a cute craft from Auntie’s Bible Lessons.
This is another great craft from Bible Songs and More.
Have the children make the book “Jesus Goes to a Wedding” from Lambsong . (Scroll down)
Younger children will enjoy this craft from A Mommy’s Adventures.
Play the Wedding at Cana file folder game from the Catholic Blogger. When I do a file folder game in the classroom, I make enough file folders for two children to share each folder. That way everyone can see and reach the board easily. I also give each pair a dice. This keeps the game moving along quickly. Kids love these games and are quick to learn the details of the story when they play them. Have a prize for the winner, but also a prize for each contestant when playing with younger children.
Here are some other good lessons. One from Mission Bible Class. This one is from Mission Arlington And here is another very nice lesson from Church of God. This lesson from South Florida Church has some great game ideas.
Sing “The Miracle Song” by the Donut Man. Or sing “Jesus Can” by Mary Rice Hopkins. Get them both at itunes.
Evaluate what the children have learned. While they are coloring or crafting ask each one what they learned today.
Send each child’s parent an e-mail (or a hard copy) of the Parents’ Page.