Scripture: Matthew 2: 13 – 23 or pages 356 – 357 in The Golden Children’s Bible
Target Age Group: 1st through 6th grade
Welcome the children to the classroom and chat with them about their week as they gather around the table.
Pray and ask God to teach the children not just head knowledge, but also heart knowledge.
Have the children open their Bibles to Matthew 2 or pages 356 – 357 in The Golden Children’s Bible.
(Read the story to the children because at this age some of the children do not read smoothly, which hinders comprehension for the whole class.)
- What did the angel warn Joseph of in a dream? That Herod was going to try to kill Jesus, so they needed to escape to Egypt.
- Did Joseph obey the angel? Yes.
- What does this story tell you about Joseph? He was obedient. He was protective.
- Do you think it was hard for Mary and Joseph to go to Egypt? Why? Yes. It was a foreign country. They didn’t know the language. They weren’t near their families. They may have been in danger along the way. It was a long way to travel. etc.
- How did Herod react when the Magi didn’t return? He was furious.
- Why do you think he was furious? He really didn’t want to worship Jesus. He wanted to kill Him so that Jesus couldn’t replace him as king.
- What orders did he give? To kill the boys in Bethlehem who were 2 years old and younger.
- Do you think it was selfish and cruel of Herod to kill innocent children just so that he could have the life that he wanted?
- How long did Joseph, Mary and Jesus stay in Egypt? Until the death of Herod.
- Who told Joseph that Herod had died? An angel
- What did the angel tell him to do? To take Jesus and Mary back to Israel.
- Why did he take them to Nazareth? He heard that Herod’s son, Archealaus, was now the king and he was afraid of him. An angel warned them of Archealaus.
- Who did God use to protect Jesus in this story? angels, Joseph
- Have you ever felt really scared? Let them tell you of some situations.
- Who did God give to you to protect you? Jesus, angels, parents, etc.
- Let’s pray and thank God for being with us and protecting us when we are in danger…
During the remaining class time do activities that help to reinforce what the children have learned. Here are some suggestions…
Memorize the verse.
Romans 8:31b “If God is for us, who can be against us?”
Act out the flight to Egypt using this example by the Sunday School Center.
Read the story “Cause for Fear” from Keys for Kids
Show the you tube video “The LEGO Nativity” and encourage the children to use Legos to tell the story to their families at home.
Make this silhouette of the flight into Egypt.
Sing “God Will Take Care of You”
Play the song “Joseph’s Song” by Michael Card. (It’s on i-tunes) Talk about what kind of a dad Joseph was and how he may have felt about it.
Have the children help Mary, Joseph and Jesus escape to Egypt through this maze by Sharon Whittaker.
Evaluate what the children have learned. While they are coloring or crafting ask each one what they learned today.
Send each child’s parent an e-mail (or a hard copy) of the Parents’ Page.